If you have ever tried dieting before, you know that there are certain foods that seem impossible to give up. There is a mental connection that attaches them to good feelings, and so we call them comfort foods. Everyone’s comfort foods are different, but there are some common ones that most people enjoy and have a hard time giving up. Unfortunately for us, this often stands in the way of getting to our ideal weight or health. One of the diet plans growing in popularity for health and weight loss is the raw diet. Eating a diet consisting of 50-100% raw foods can be an easy way to lose weight quickly, and people who go 100% raw have claimed health benefits ranging from lower blood pressure and cholesterol to fighting cancer and diabetes. As with any change in diet, there are bound to be some comfort foods that give you cravings when you try to leave them behind. One of America’s most popular foods is ice cream. Especially during the summer months, an ice cream cone is a universal treat enjoyed by many. So, what’s the problem with ice cream? For starters, it’s loaded with cholesterol and saturated fats. The next time you take the pail from the freezer, check out the nutrition label, most ice cream also states the serving size as 1/2 cup, which is about half of what’s normally served up. The good news is that there are delicious alternatives to ice cream. You can purchase non-dairy ice cream at the supermarket, but you can also make your own healthy recipes. My favorite ice cream alternative is Banana Fruit Creme. Which is just blended up frozen bananas. It comes out thick and creamy, just the texture of ice cream. It’s also a great way to use up bananas that are getting brown. What you’ll need:
- at least 5 bananas, depending on how much fruit creme you want to make
- a good blender or food processor
What to do:
- First peel the bananas, and break each one into 3-4 pieces.
- Put the pieces into tupperware and into the freezer.
- Let them freeze overnight.
- When you are ready to eat, put the frozen pieces into your blender with a little bit of water. Use less than 1/4 cup, you just want to help the blender to mash up the fruit.
- Blend like crazy!
- Enjoy right away, the fruit creme doesn’t keep well in the freezer, so it’s best to eat it all the first time.
This stuff is really delicious and satisfies that ice cream craving. It’s a hit at parties, especially with kids. Try making a berry sauce and drizzling it over the fruit creme.